The wet season means increased activity of all amphibians. Toads are exotic pests that thrive in disturbed environments, including river floodplains, tree fall gaps, urban environments and other environments disturbed by humans. Bufo toads found in Florida range from 4 to 6 inches in length and often weigh more than two pounds. As a defense mechanism, when threatened, or even at the onset of your pet's playful lick or curious sniff, the toad secretes a milky-white fluid that contains bufotoxin from glands at the back of its head, behind its eyes.
The effects of bufotoxin are dose-depending on how much is secreted and the overall health and weight of your pet. It could result in serious illness or death of your dog or cat if ingested. Toads thrive because people feed their pets outside. Don't feed your pets outside and don't leave their food and water bowls outside, especially overnight.
Like all amphibians, cane toads are most active at night because temperatures are low and humidity is high. Because most pet-cane toad interactions are most likely to occur at night, it is important for you to know where your nearest 24-hour animal clinic is located. If you suspect your dog or cat has come into contact with a toad, immediately wash its face, mouth and body with fresh water and take the animal to the nearest vet or emergency vet.
A large number of pets die from heat exhaustion each year because they are left in a vehicle. Even if you leave the windows cracked or the air conditioner running, temperatures can still quickly rise and put your pets at risk.
Serious illness or death can be prevented by not leaving your pets in an unattended vehicle.
The Danger In Peanut Butter & Dogs You probably even use peanut butter to hide pills when your dog needs to take medication. Check the labels before feeding peanut butter to your pets. Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs. Xylitol is a sugar substitute commonly used in toothpastes, mouthwash, sugarless gum, and other sugarless candies.
What to do if your dog reacts to Xylitol in peanut butter (some peanut butter contains Xylitol) Be sure that the peanut butter has no Xylitol in the ingredients. If your dog ingests Xylitol you want to rub some syrup on their gums. You want to get some sugar in their blood as quick as you can. Take the dog to the vet or emergency vet immediately.
What Xylitol does, if ingested, it tells the pancreas to release insulin into the blood stream and Xylitol causes a lot of insolent to be released in the dog. This huge surge of insulin lowers their blood glucose and causes the dog to be tired, to have seizures and it can also die from having a low blood sugar.
Professional Pet Sitting Services offered in the Upper to Mid-Pinellas County Area