The Danger In Peanut Butter & Dogs You probably even use peanut butter to hide pills when your dog needs to take medication. Check the labels before feeding peanut butter to your pets. Xylitol is extremely toxic to dogs. Even small amounts of Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death in dogs. Xylitol is a sugar substitute commonly used in toothpastes, mouthwash, sugarless gum, and other sugarless candies.
What to do if your dog reacts to Xylitol in peanut butter (some peanut butter contains Xylitol) Be sure that the peanut butter has no Xylitol in the ingredients. If your dog ingests Xylitol you want to rub some syrup on their gums. You want to get some sugar in their blood as quick as you can. Take the dog to the vet or emergency vet immediately.
What Xylitol does, if ingested, it tells the pancreas to release insulin into the blood stream and Xylitol causes a lot of insolent to be released in the dog. This huge surge of insulin lowers their blood glucose and causes the dog to be tired, to have seizures and it can also die from having a low blood sugar.
Professional Pet Sitting Services offered in the Upper to Mid-Pinellas County Area