Ingredients that are toxic to pets include ammonia, bleach, chlorine, formaldehyde, and isopropyl alcohol. However, the level of toxicity and degree of illness can vary significantly based on the concentration, how much the pet is exposed to, and the route of exposure (ingested, inhaled, contact).
Common clinical signs of cleaning product toxicity in pets when inhaled include:
Sneezing, Coughing, Watery eyes, Trouble breathing, Increased rate of breathing, Open-mouth breathing (in cats), and Bluish-colored gums.
Common clinical signs of cleaning product toxicity in pets when contact with the skin occurs are redness and irritation, Sores or blisters, Rash, and Chemical burns.
Common clinical signs of cleaning product toxicity in pets when contact with the skin occurs are redness and irritation, Sores or blisters, Rash, and Chemical burns. Other products that may contain ammonia: are furniture polish, toilet bowl cleaner, oven cleaner, and stainless-steel cleaner.
Bleach and chlorine are chemically identical. The difference is their concentration: Bleach is more likely to have a 3%–6% concentration, whereas pool chlorine can be a 10%–12% concentration. The toxic ingredient most commonly appears on product labels as sodium hypochlorite.
Phenol may appear on a product label under many names, including butylated hydroxytoluene, benzenol, carbolic acid, phenolic acid, Bakelite, and alkylphenols.
If your pet was exposed to a cleaning product, this may be a medical emergency. Act quickly to determine if they need to be seen at the emergency room.
When possible, switching to pet-safe cleaning products reduces the risk of exposure to toxic chemicals.
Locate the product label and contact your veterinarian or one of the animal poison control centers (Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661 or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435).
Professional Pet Sitting Services offered in the Upper to Mid-Pinellas County Area