These first-aid practices should be implemented in the event of a snake bite: For non-venomous snake bites: Wash the wound with antibacterial soap and observe. If red or warm to the touch, get to the veterinarian for antibiotics or other treatment. If unsure, assume it was a venomous bite:
Keep bite wound below level of heart to slow absorption; do not wash or massage area.
Keep animal calm since the faster he breathes and circulates blood, the faster the venom moves.
Call ahead and get to veterinary care for treatment. Do NOT:
Cut the bite and try to suck out the poison.
Manipulate the bitten area or allow the pet to move about freely. Place an ice pack over the bite.
Article By Denise Fleck, The Pet Safety Crusader
Professional Pet Sitting Services offered in the Upper to Mid-Pinellas County Area